well some people may think "hey Craig has been home from the hospital for a month now, Im sure they have it all figured out by now"
ya
right!
But I can say it has gotten easier...well, certain aspects of it..not all of it.
First off, I was surprised how many people know nothing, or wrong facts about type 1 diabetes..Why am I surprised though?? I mean before all this, I did not even know there was 2 types!! Just being honest here!!! I knew nothing at all!!!
But for some reason it irritates me the misconceptions people have about it...so on here, tell me something you think you know..?? or ask me a question I want to answer them..I want to help people understand what it is, how it works, and what its NOT!
First misconception: I or Craig must have done something wrong for him to get this....
wrong!- I have honestly heard "Teri probably ate too much sugar when she was pregnant thats why Craig has this"
And "Their house is a sugar house! no wonder he got this"
okay lets be honest here, I do love candy, heck ya..skittles are the best!!! but my kids are very healthy and eat healthy and are active...so ........
heres your definition to prove those wrong.....
Type 1 diabetes is a disorder of the human immune system that makes it difficult for the body to produce insulin. Without insulin, the body cannot convert sugar from food into nutrients for cells. Excess sugar builds up in the blood stream and may eventually cause severe damage to organs and premature death.
Type 1 diabetes is a disease which can strike children and adults suddenly and requires supplemental insulin along with carefully regimented diet and exercise to manage properly.
Type 1 diabetes is generally diagnosed in children, teenagers, or young adults. Scientists do not yet know exactly what causes type 1 diabetes but believe that it is autoimmune or genetic.Really why do I care what some people think, its my kid and I know the truth about it...but I do care. thats just how i am...
Misconception #2
Craig cannot have carbs because he has diabetes..or he cannot have very many
wrong..Craig can have as many carbs as anyone else in the family...His body just does not digest them right and his pancreas does not produce insulin like the rest of the family, so he gets insulin for the carbs he takes in and thats it...He can have a doughnut...or ice cream...he just needs insulin to cover it.
Now I have been a little irritated by what people think...or just do not know..I wish people understood more about it so that they could "not" say stupid things that can be hurtful...
so thats the next step..helping people around us understand, then we will go from there....
After meeting with a diabetes volunteer who has a son with diabetes for 10 years , I have decided someday, Ill be one of those people...why??
first because it is a great support to talk to someone and know that your life will be fine, and can be more "normal" after time..
Also because she is so helpful in what I need to do for the school (and what the school is SUPPOSED to be doing for us...but arent, thats a whole nother post!!)
And also because as I met with her this week she told me I "need" to do this...and that...and felt like she thought I needed to do everything she did..well I dont...She told me that I need to force Craig to get the pump...Um, actually no I dont....
and I wont...
First off, I wont force him to do anything (besides brush his teeth and clean his room!! lol)
he is old enough to choose what HE is comfortable with..it is not up to me...Im not the one getting poked 5-9 times a day....If he is comfortable with the shots, thats what we will do..If he wants to try the pens or pumps, we'll try it...but theres no way I will tell my child he has to do either or....
so after we learn more (because it seems right now, theres always something new to learn) I will be one of those people....
Craig is still a busy kid..plays baseball (they won today!!) and does scouts (still figuring out all of the specifics on campout and stuff)....He just has to check his blood sugar, listen to his body, get shots and do a lot more to make sure he is healthy and able to do them... We have to take a lot around with us all the time...things like:- glucose meter
- glucagon (emergency sugar shot..pretty much if he passes out)
- carb and protein snacks (to fix if his level gets low)
- Apple juice (we always have this, he needs is as a quick sugar if he gets under 80)
- water
- and backups of all of these in case we lose them, run out or forget to restock!!
Next step right now is to get the school situated for Craig to be safe there... the teachers know so little, as well as the nurse...I am still going in ever day at 11:30 to
give him his lunch shot..
that means I take 2 kids to school at 8..
come home.
.take craig to school at 8:45.
.come home..
go to Craigs school at 11:30 to give him his shot.
.go home..
pick up 2 kids at 3
..go home..
pick up Craig at 4..go home...
every day!!!
but we are managing...and its is for sure getting better and easier to do... :)
1 comment:
Thanks for that post! It's good for people to hear. Diabetes information and treatment has changed so much over the years. When my cousin was diagnosed with type 1 at age 4 several years ago they were treating it like type 2. But when my nephew was diagnosed just 3 years ago everything had changed. I think people are still clinging to old info. I am sorry. I can't imagine all that he and you go through each day...but he's lucky to have such a great mom to take care of him and help him live a great life. :)
Post a Comment