Wednesday, February 4, 2009

that "red" gene



Walking in the grocery store, at the doctors office, at the park, walking through the mall.....
"love that hair"
"where do they get the red hair from?"
"oh look at her hair"
"my kids used to have red hair"
seriously sometimes they yell it across the isle....
This is a daily occurrence for us... usually multiple times daily :)
Then I have to go into a conversation with people I dont know about my husband because they always want to know if he has red hair...
After I tell them my family tree and the hair colors that are included in that its a smile and a goodbye.... Sometimes an awkward "I'm walking away lady because I have to shop" goodbye, but it never fails..
Yes I can find humor in it... I remember when Craig was little an old lady came up and said "oh I love your red hair"
He glared at her and yelled "Its orange not red!" He was obviously upset...

yes my kids have red hair... is it obvious?? When we go to church we have a benchful of redheads!
When we had Craig we were surprised to see the red hair.. Then with each child after the first thing I asked was "does he/she have red hair?"

SO here you go, no I have never had red hair, neither has my husband... On my side, my sister has red hair and not sure but I think I have heard my dads mom had red hair as well (I dont know my dad so I cant factually say if its true or not from my experience of seeing it)
On Hain's side... no red hair that we know of...

Although we get some awkward conversation, lots of questions, and a ton of compliments.... I love our kids red hair!!! or should I say orange hair?!

3 comments:

Kendra said...

Your kids DO have beautiful hair!

People are so funny with their comments. People always ask me if Jacob's hair is NATURALLY curly. I always laugh. I've told a few people who have asked me that question that I put sponge rollers in his hair every night!

Stirling's said...

I totally understand Teri! I get those same comments everyday, what is funny is that now when my kids are not with me and I see red heads I want to say something to them too, we should start a fan club for all of the red heads in the world.

Dawn said...

Nope it's my dad's mom who had the red hair...