I guess it started about 2-3 weeks ago... Our oldest was having a few "issues" and we though he was just growing..he was eating tons of food, and always thirsty.... then about a week ago (I was out of town) my husband realized something was wrong with our kiddo...He called me and said I needed to make an appt at the doctor because he was having to go to the bathroom very frequently..well, that meaning at least every 45 minutes.even at night.. SO immediately I thought UTI..of course thats what it was, all he needs is an antibiotic and we're good..So I made an appt, but they couldnt get him in till this morning(I called tuesday)....SO he did a urine test..then the doctor called me in (you see, Craig is just too cool to have his mommy in the room anymore...sad..sad..) The doctor then tells me that he has no infection..and immediately Im thinking "well SOMETHING is wrong, clearly!"...then he says he has type 1 diabetes...
My mind went completely blank......I literally was in shock... I was completely unprepared for that answer....Then my mind started going crazy..
MY kid?
Craig?
Diabetes? what in the heck?
He is a healthy young man..
whats going to happen?
Will he be okay?
The doctor was answering all of my questions and then I couldnt be strong anymore, you see Craig was right there in the room and I did not want to freak him out, or make him feel bad...but at this point the tears started coming...I mean no one wants their child to suffer, or have something like this, which is a life long disease...so Im trying to stop tearing up and take in everything the doctor was telling me..
Then the doctor was trying to console me..ha.. poor guy!! I wasnt freaking out, but anyway, I tried to calm down for Craigs sake..
I just kept thinking "I dont want him to have this..to have to worry about this, or to suffer"
Its just something a parent does not want for their child....
When we left my little boy just cried, he said he was scared...and then I teared up again..Then he was fine..He acted fine anyway, but I could tell he was concerned, and worried...
He went back to school though....crazy enough!!
As soon as I got home I fb'd if anyone knew anything about it..I figured I needed some close friends resources for sure on this one! I almost didnt because I didnt want to blast it, but at that point I needed some support and answers.. and I also called someone from church who I knew their child had it..As part of the Primary presidency I had learned of her because any time we had treats we would have to let them know..SO she was the first person I thought about to call.. She was amazing..she was supportive and offered answers, what to expect in the next few weeks and just tons of help. after that, I googled it...and got some more info..trying to figure out what it all meant..
I still felt completely overwhelmed..I am a worrier, I've said it a million times.. but its true, I worry about my kids SO much..I worry about everything..and I am a planner... but the near future is unsure, I know a tiny part of what Craig is going to go through, I dont know what doctors visits will hold, how this will all play out, how he will get his insulin..how long it will take for him to start feelign better...I just dont know and that is very hard for me...
after dinner, he got a blessing from one of his young mens leaders, which was so great..but then there i am worrying about his YM activity on Saturday..will he be able to go..no..and he was very excited to go to the temple...then I thought about his camp out next weekend..he wont be able to do that either, then I worried because one of the scout leaders told me that if he did not go to all campout, he wouldnt get his Eagle.. AAHHH@!!!! I cannot stop worrying..but I know when I stop..and pray about it..and shut my mind off, that its all going to be okay... things will be fine...I know this...
I went to relief society (which I didnt want to go really..I wanted to relax and veg out) but I am glad I went...I have not been going ..and I needed to go .... my mind wandered into its worry state a few times, but I was glad to go and feel support from my friends.. It was such a blessing, and I knew I NEEDED to go.
Well tomorrow we go in the early morning for bloodwork, to get more answers and see if anything else is contributing to all of this...Ill keep family updated on this good old blog...
because someone felt the need to say its Hain and I's fault because we give our kids tons of candy and soda..not true(I never buy soda!! unlesds we are having aparty..and I never have it around the house.. but I dont really need to defend myself..our kids are healthy), but anyway, here is some info on type 1 diabetes...
Type 1 diabetes, once known as juvenile diabetes or insulin-dependent diabetes, is a chronic condition in which the pancreas produces little or no insulin, a hormone needed to allow sugar (glucose) to enter cells to produce energy. Type 2 diabetes, which is far more common, occurs when the body becomes resistant to the effects of insulin or doesn't make enough insulin.
Various factors may contribute to type 1 diabetes, including genetics and exposure to certain viruses. Although type 1 diabetes typically appears during adolescence, it can develop at any age.
Despite active research, type 1 diabetes has no cure, although it can be managed. With proper treatment, people who have type 1 diabetes can expect to live longer, healthier lives than in the past.
No comments:
Post a Comment