
wow, today went by fast..and Im exhausted!! ha! what did I do? I didnt run a mile, do cardio, go anywhere really ....but Im sure tired:)
well today we got up and started like we normally will now..He ordered breakfast (well you know he wont be ordering any when we come home!! haha) and then we took some blood to check his sugar levels...then we did the calculations for his insulin. He got that shot then ate breakfast...
From then on till like 1ish we had many people come..A dietician with info, The pediatrician with more info, the child diabetes person with info, and a bag for him with lots of stuff about diabetes...The endocrinologist with even more info, and the nurse with info...So it was a super information overload today!!
We are learning so much, about carbs, simple sugars, counting carbs and fiber, glucose, hyper and hypoglycemia, signs of both, equations for insulin at different times of the day, when to use each insulin (he has 2 kinds ), just so much info..and tomorrow will be the same..we will learn about school, and how to deal with that, and making sure he gets his insulin there, get his prescriptions and we have to fill it then bring it back (thats Hains job since Im here 24/7) so the doctors can check everything, we will also get his meters and strips to test his blood several times a day, we should get 2 to take home.
Craig also had some visitors, some of his friends came to visit and that was SO great for him... Good to see him laugh!
It was a hard day for me..He will not be able to leave here unless the staff see that he will be taken care of at home..meaning I need to be able to do everything they are here..at home... Heres the problem, I hate getting my blood drawn I hate seeing blood, lets face it, I cannot even look at my kids teeth when they are loose, it groses me out!! I hate needles too...
So anyway we decided I would try to give him his lunch time insulin..I was SO nervous...but I tried..I measured it all right and went to pinch his skin..I stared at it for a few seconds and said "I just cant do it!" Then I tried again, just holding that needle and coundnt handle poking it into my sons skin.. Its a hard thing to explain, but I had such a hard time with it, I didnt want to do it wrong, or hurt Craig or anything like that....
So as Im tearing up and having total anxiety I finally do it..I stuck the needle in his arm...but then he jerked and it came out...At that point I was overwhelmed, upset and was not able to do it...The nurse did it..
Ugh is was such an emotional rollercoaster... without the insulin he cannot survive...essentially because his body cannot produce it its self..so if I dont do it, he will not be getting what he needs...
STRESS!!!
so anyway Hain came and we visited for a few . I filled him in on some of the things he missed earlier (Its a lot of info and he needs to know it all too, so he can help Craig when he needs it) then the nurse came in and told him a ton of info as well...then dinnertime came...I knew I had to try to get him the shot again... I said I cannot do the arm, I am not ready for that, its too close to your face and I cant emotionally do it, lets try the leg...(thigh) I did it...and felt so good after...I actually did it with no problems... so I feel better about that now.. but it will take time to be confident for sure..Just thinking about giving him a shot in the stomach makes me ill, so I dont think I can do that area either yet...
We have gotten lots of texts, messages and calls from friends and family, which helps....so much:)
I miss the kids ..I left while Hains mom was here..I went with Hain to target to get a few things Craig will need when he gets home..Then we went to pick up the other kids from my sister so hain could take them home..I got lots of hugs and it was so great to see them and hear their voices....They wanted to know about Craig, and why he wasnt with me.. They miss him too... We have so much to explain to them... after we picked them up though Hain brought me back to the hospital to be with Craig and he took the kids home...
Craig gets to hopefully go home Monday..which makes be happy, but nervous..There is SO much to do and remember...and it can be terrible if you mess up...
Thats hard to deal with..I still look over at him when he is sleeping and feel so sad that he has to go through this...Its a difficult disease to have...lots of pricks, lots of shots, lots of diligence and discipline as well...He is in good spirits though..Gee, I think he is doing better than I am!!! I feel like its been a fast road..and once everything slows down, I will have total breakdown and cry it out!! Im just being honest:) ha, but really..Im not kidding !
well Im off to bed..well I have to get Craig his Longlasting insulin before I do that, he is SO tired today..he is sleeping already, but I have to wake him up at 9 for the meds..
No comments:
Post a Comment