Saturday, January 30, 2010

How.........


okay so Craig is 10... big deal right... He said in the car the other day "Ya mom wont let us do that because she is too protective!" (playing the flooded parks, which I actually would have let them if we didnt have things we had going on that day...ugh rude!)
Anyway focus Teri you have a story to tell here!!
Okay moving on........ SO today he was invited to go to the park and play football... I said sure assuming there would be a parent there (maybe the parent of the boy who called and invited him??) Well I assumed wrong. I pulled up and there was no parent... But there was a bunch of boys his age from church.. all great kids... So I was thinking to myself (as I have never left him anywhere with out adult supervision) Do I let him stay and play? DO I tell him no? Do I trust that he will be fine, because they are just going to play football and I know all the kids he is playing with....??? This is all new to me.... I called the parent I thought was going to be there and she said that she wasnt coming back but to pick her son up ..... SO I let him stay.. feeling okay about my decision...Then I called Hain!!! He was good about it he said go back and talk to Craig, tell him when you will be back and if I didnt get back when everyone left, then go home with "certain kid" SO he just said to have a plan... of "if"..... They know my cell number too, so I left... And went back in and hour and a half to get him.. There he was playing football with his friends just where i had left him...( 2 blocks from home)
Now let me just say its not that I dont trust Craig, or the kids he was with, because I know Craig is a great kid... But I also know what I did as a kid.... I lied... snuck out at night..rode a city bus across to a different town late at night...... a lot of things that could have led me to very horrible outcomes...... I was bad..but good..I covered up my naughtiness by getting straight A's in school and overachieving......SO I am a super worrier when it comes to my kids...and yes I did those things when I was younger than 10...
It is extremely hard for me to give them freedom, but I dont want to be that crazy protective mom.... But I do want to be a cautious and caring one!!! SO you moms out there..how did you transition from young kids always with mom, to giving them some freedom....???? Help me out !!!

2 comments:

Kami said...

I too would like the advice fir the future. I am already over protective and I know it will get worse as my kids get older.

Jaime and Brent said...

I do not look forward to having to make those decisions. Its not that you don't trust your kids..its everyone else. I get a little panicked when I think about all the what if's. I guess at some point you have to know that you have raised them right...and trust them to make the right decisions. I am getting nervous just thinking about it:)