Monday, February 23, 2009

8 things I learned from my "vacation"

1. A "vacation" when you have kids... does not include the kids!
Now that would be a family vacation! I needed a mommy vacation. I knew my family would want to see Madi and she was still free flight because she is not 2 yet, so I took her. I also knew Carter would love love love it if he could come... There I go, the mommy in me. So I booked a flight for us 3. Now what I needed was relaxation, peace, a little break. What I got was cranky kids, screaming baby and stress! Dont get me wrong I did enjoy myself, but let me tell you next time I will be going alone, no I mean A-L-O-N-E!!
2. 1 year olds do not like airplane rides.... well Madi doesnt anyway. I got to wrestle her as she squealed, wiggled, cried, kicked and screamed... all the while the lady across us glared her little eyes as if I didnt realize my child was loud and irritated! She did sleep about 45 minutes both ways, but the rest of the 2 and a half hours was torturous... not to mention I had to change a stinky diaper on the airplane .. funfun.....Now I have flown many many times with kids, all ages by myself, I have actually taken all 4 by myself, but this was the worst ever!
3. I cant go on a trip to Washington without a sewing project!! Its always fun to do a project :) and I never leave without some new fabric!! I got this vintage looking fabric I'm going to make Madi a quilt out of.. Its gonna be so cute!!
4. I also never, absolutely never return home from Washington without gaining poundage... ugh! Usually its 5 pounds. Really? yes really!! every time. Well this time it was 3 pounds, but I was only there 4 days! Why do you ask? Because I am fed the yummiest comfort foods, and dessert every night... I dont have to cook, or clean, or run around crazy getting everything done.... So yes I did have a vacation..... and it was great. Now back to work, cleaning, cooking and exercising too!!
5. After 10 years I still miss my husband.... I didnt think I would miss him honestly... I mean it was just a few days... But I totally did I couldnt wait to see him . So thats good right?!! So I came home requesting a vacation for the 2 of us.. Did I miss the kids you ask? of course. I totally missed Landons goofy grin and his cuddly hugs!! I missed Craigs freckle face and his funny giggles!! Absence makes the heart grow fonder people!! Besides its always good to be home!!
6. Husbands seem to do more when your gone..... why is it that when I am home Hain doesnt have any interest in cleaning, or organizing, and its a pain to ask..... Then when I leave I return home to a spotless house, organized cupboards, laundry done.. yes the laundry was done and even on that note, I expected it clean... but it was all put away as well!!!! Miraculous you say? I do say indeed!!! I am NOT complaining, I am so happy!! Just trying to figure it out thats all :)
7. I love my crazy busy life..... yes I do. I missed my crazy kids and all the fun stuff we do together. I missed dinners together and reading with the kids, messing around all that. I headed to frys today and thoughts.."awe frys" okay is it crazy that I missed going to frys daily? i think so!
8. Carter CAN be helpful. okay so he is quite rambunctious, bratty, crazy, how ever you want to put it..... I kept thinking why am I bringing him? he is going to drive me crazy on my "vacation"... What am I thinking? He is going to be onry and not helpful.... As you can see in the pictures in my next post he was so good on teh airplane. As all of my attention went to Miss Madi and her scream fulled tantrums....He sat nicely eyes filled with glee..enjoying every minute of his exciting airplane trip!!! Did my vacation really teach me that my 5 year old can be helpful? yes it did!

1 comment:

Amie said...

glad you had fun! I can't believe you took your kids by yourself--you're a very nice momma!